Aubergine & Cashew Veg Curry & a Dal (or ‘clean out your fridge curry night’)
- 1 large aubergine, roast until collapsing.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Whatever veg you need to use: 1 red pepper, handful of mushrooms, handful of peas, chunk of cauliflower
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (or 1 clove finely chopped garlic)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup cashews blended with 1/2 cup water & juice of 1/2 a lemon
Blend up the roast aubergine until smooth & set aside.
Heat a pan and then spray it lightly with vegetable oil. Add the onion and cook until it begins to turn golden. Add the pepper and cook for a few more minutes. Clear a spot in the center of the pan, and toast the cumin seeds for about a minute, until they become fragrant. Stir them into the onions and peppers and add the coriander, turmeric, asafetida (or garlic), tomatoes, ginger, and veg. Add the aubergine and cook until flavours blended, and everything soft and saucy!
Stir in the cashew cream, taste & add paprika, garam masala & coriander to taste.
- 1 cup washed & soaked yellow split peas
- 3 cups water
- 1tsp turmeric
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
- 5 curry leaves
- fresh coriander
- lemon juice
Cook your split peas with the turmeric until soft, skimming off any weird froth.
Heat your coconut oil & fry the onions, then everything else.
Stir it into the split peas, taste for seasonings, EAT.